Saturday 26 November 2022

Things a bit tight this year? Then why not get crafting or baking for Christmas?

Apparently there's a cost of living crisis, though reports of record-breaking "Black Friday" sales throughout the UK might indicate that the cost of living crisis isn't as severe as some people are making out.

But if you are feeling the pinch this year, why not consider making some of your Christmas presents?

Years ago things were a bit tight financially for me (a promised pay rise never materialised) and I was a bit strapped for cash in the pre-Christmas period so I decided to make some Christmas presents.

I invested in some rather attractive but cheap large glass fruit bowls which were covered in various types of fruit in relief that I found in a discount shop that was sort of like a Pound shop and I invested in some good quality glass paints that I bought from a local art shop.

Although I am by no means an artist I did do a good job and I gave one to my fiancé (who is now my wife) to see what she thought of it. She said "leave it with me" and went to see a close friend of hers who lived next door.

An hour later she came back with a £20 note and an order for ten more as her friend was so impressed that she decided to order ten for her family members!

My fiancé kissed me, grinned, and said: "You'd better get busy!"  Which I did. I painted some for my family members as Christmas presents, another one for my fiancé and a number of others as she made more sales for me!

So, if someone like me can get crafting, why not you, too? I suggest that you check out craft shops, Amazon, Poundland, The bookshop called The Works (which now has an excellent craft section) Hobbycraft,  haberdashers, etc. Just hit Google to find out what's available locally, you might be surprised.

If you are a skilled crafter, unlike me, who isn't, get cracking, utilising your skills to create some memorable Christmas gifts for friends and family members. 

Or if you have someone to buy for who is artistic or into crafting why not look at buying them a craft kit or some art/craft supplies?

Maybe you are good at baking or cooking? Why not make everyone some Christmas biscuits or some Christmas fudge, for example? 

 (Image courtesy of L Gould and Pixabay)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome!