Prep: 1 hour (including rises): 4 hours 30 mins
Cook: 25 mins
Makes: 12 buns
240ml whole milk
135g dark brown soft sugar
2 tsp mixed spice
½ tsp ground cinnamon
2 sachets instant yeast (7g per sachet)
115g unsalted butter, softened to room temperature, cut into 4 pieces
2 large eggs, lightly beaten at room temperature
½ tsp salt
563g strong white bread flour, plus more for surfaces
2 tsp oil for bowl
For the marmalade filling:
1 x 340g jar Cottage Delight Winter Warming Thin Cut Marmalade, at room temperature
100g unsalted butter, very soft/room temperature
For orange cream cheese frosting:
55g full fat cream cheese
250g icing sugar
2 tbsp double cream
2-3 tsp orange extract (taste for desired flavour)
• Grease a large bowl using 2 tsp of oil, set aside. Heat milk to just below boiling point to scald. Remove from heat and cool to room temperature (must still be warm).
• In a stand mixer, using the dough hook attachment, combine all dry dough ingredients. Add eggs, followed by the warm milk. Mix at a medium speed for 10 minutes before tipping onto a lightly floured surface. (Dough will be soft).
• Knead dough into a ball and place into a large, greased bowl. Cover tightly with cling film and move to a warm spot to prove for 2 hours, or until double in size.
• Once proved, knock back the dough. Tip onto a lightly floured surface. Gather into a neat ball and using a lightly floured rolling pin, roll dough into a 50x35cm rectangle, making sure the dough is smooth and evenly thick as possible.
• Place the rectangle of dough with a long edge facing you. Spread the softened butter all over the dough, ensuring you go right to the edges. Spoon over jar of Winter Warming Thin Cut Marmalade (reserve 1 tbsp for dressing) and spread over the top of the butter.
• Starting from the long edge furthest away, roll the pastry towards you, keeping the dough as tight as possible as you roll (make sure the seal is on the bottom). Take a sharp knife and trim the ends (roughly 1-2 inches each side).
• Cut the rolled dough in half, then halve your two halves again (leaving you with 4 quarters). Slice each quarter into 3 equal slices and place on their cut side into a greased and lined 20x30cm baking tin.
• Cover the rolls tightly with cling film and allow to rise until doubled in size (approx. 1 hour).
• Pre-heat the oven to 200°/180°C fan/gas 6. Once doubled, remove cling film and place in oven for 25-30 minutes, or until lightly golden on top. Place tin on wire rack to cool.
• In a medium bowl, using a hand-held or stand mixer beat the cream cheese on a medium speed until smooth and creamy. Add double cream and sifted icing sugar. Switch to high and beat for 1 minute. Add orange extract and beat on high to combine. (Taste for desired orange flavour).
• Spread the icing over warm rolls in swirls and serve immediately.
• Dust with cinnamon and decorate with reserved Winter Warming Thin Cut Marmalade.
I have a feeling that these buns will not make it to Christmas morning at our house as they'd be chomped down with some festive tea as soon as they were baked!