Prep: 40 minutes Cook: 6 hours chill Serves: 8
For the trifle:
1 x 340g jar Cottage Delight Magical Mulled Wine Jam
2 oranges, peeled and sliced in halves
420g sponge swiss roll
360ml double cream, whipped to soft peaks
500ml mulled wine (ready-made or using recipe below)
135g pack raspberry jelly
Fresh/frozen berries, to decorate
Ground cinnamon, to decorate
For the mulled wine jelly:
Option - make your own mulled wine using the recipe below or use ready-made mulled wine.
For home-made mulled wine:
500ml red wine
2 bay leaves
1 star anise
1 orange, thinly sliced
8 cloves, whole
2 cinnamon sticks
1 packet raspberry jelly
Method for mulled wine jelly:
• Combine all ingredients (not including raspberry jelly) in saucepan and heat gently. Do not boil. Hold at gentle simmer for at least 10 minutes.
• Remove from heat and strain the liquid.
• Return liquid to pan and dissolve in jelly cubes (if jelly cubes do not dissolve, put some gentle heat underneath).
• If using bottled mulled wine, heat according to bottle instructions before dissolving in the jelly cubes.
To assemble the trifle:
1. Make your mulled wine jelly in advance, using recipe and method stated above. Pour jelly mixture into a small rectangle or square baking tin, so it’s roughly 1 inch high. Leave it in the fridge to set (approx. 3 hours)
2. To assemble, line the bottom of a trifle bowl with half of your cake slices. Press slices half way up along the sides of the bowl.
3. Arrange halved orange slices around side of bowl.
4. Arrange half of the jelly squares over the cake mixture.
5. Pour over half of the custard.
6. Spoon over half of the Magical Mulled Wine Jam evenly.
7. Repeat steps 2 to 6.
8. Cover the top with plastic wrap and leave in the fridge for at least 4-6 hours or even better, overnight.
9. When you’re ready to serve, add whipped cream and fresh or frozen berries to decorate before dusting with cinnamon.